Dippy Eggs and Soldiers for one is a fast and easy breakfast or dinner for one that you can make in under 10 minutes with just 5 common pantry ingredients.
Editor’s Note: This article contains affiliate links — full disclosure is at the end of the article.
As a kid I really wasn’t big on eggs – or any “traditional” breakfast foods for that matter. But I did love dippy eggs and soldiers!
The kid in me still loves them. It’s such an easy meal to make. Eggs and soldiers make a great for breakfast or a fast but filling dinner when you’re not bothered to cook.
Can you boil water? Can you make toast?
If you answered yes to both of these, you can make dippy eggs and soldiers and you can do it in under 10 minutes. Round out your plate with fresh fruit or veggies and you’ve got a pretty complete meal: protein, carbs and plants.
As an adult, you can do as I do and make fancy soldiers with Parmesan and cilantro on them. A sprinkle of that Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning on your toast wouldn’t be amiss either.
So What Are Dippy Eggs and Soldiers?
If you grew up in the UK or with parents or grandparents from the UK, I’m pretty sure you already know what eggs and soldiers are. If not, it’s simply a cute way of saying soft boiled eggs served with a cut up slice of toast.
The egg is always served in its shell in an egg cup. The toast is cut into strips (like toy soldiers). And the top of the egg is cut off so you can dunk that toasty soldier in and scoop out all that gorgeous, drippy yolk.
Choosing the Right Bread For Toasted Soldiers
In my opinion, the choice of bread for your soldiers is key! It should be bread that toasts up perfectly golden while still being soft on the inside. It has to be hot enough for butter to melt into the cracks. I like a good sourdough or calabrese loaf.
You don’t want toast that’s hard as a rock so keep that in mind when choosing your bread and deciding whether or not to butter it. It needs to have some flex in it to scoop out the yolk! Buttering your toast will help too. I prefer salted butter because I don’t salt my eggs.
Toppings For Your Toasted Soldiers
Kids often don’t like their toast seasoned but if you’re making this just for yourself, go for it. Here are some of my favourite topping:
- grated Parmesan
- chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- other seasoning blends you might have on hand
Don’t over-season your toast. You don’t want to take away from the flavour of that creamy, delicious yolk!
Topping Your Soft Boiled Egg
There are special tools out there to top a soft boiled egg – they’re called egg crackers and they promise to get the top off your soft boiled egg in seconds. But I just use a teaspoon and give the top of my egg a sharp whack once or twice and then work the spoon under the cracks to take off the top. It’s pretty easy to do!
Dippy Eggs and Soldiers
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bread Use a soft but firm bread like sourdough or calabrese
- 1 tsp butter for spreading on your toast
- 1 tsp grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp finely chopped cilantro
- fill a saucepan with enough water to completely cover an egg and bring it to a boil
- gently add one egg to the boiling water and boil it for 5 minutes (use a timer). Remove the egg from the water and immediately run it under cold water for 30 seconds to stop it from cooking further. (if you have another, preferred method for soft boiling an egg, use that)
- while the egg is cooking, toast two slices of bread. Lightly butter the toasted slices and sprinkle with Parmesan and cilantro (or the toppings of your choice) and slice the toast into 1/2 inch strips (they have to be skinny enough to dip into the top of your egg
- place your cooked egg in an egg cup, top it and start dipping those soldiers into the runny yolk!
This site is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for the site to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
More Breakfast For One Ideas
- Chocolate Chia Pudding For One (Easy Meal Prep)
- Classic Oatmeal For One – A Quick and Easy Breakfast